Sunday, November 18, 2007
Bread And Butter Pudding
White bread slices - 6
Butter - 3 tablespoons
Milk, hot - 2 cups
Sugar - ½ cup
Eggs - 4
Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon
Raisins (kishmish) - ½ cup
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Butter bread slices. Keep one slice on top of the another and make three sandwiches. Cut each of them into four triangles. Arrange the triangles in a baking dish so each triangle overlaps the previous one.
3. Take hot milk in a bowl, add sugar and stir till it dissolves. Break eggs into it and whisk to mix well. Add vanilla essence and mix.
4. Pour this mixture over the bread slices and press the bread lightly so that they soak up most of the milk. Sprinkle raisins on the top.
5. Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about forty minutes.
6. Serve hot or cold.
CHOCOLATE WALNUT KHEER
Dark chocolate, grated - ½ cup + 2 tablespoons for garnishing
Walnuts, dry roasted, coarsely crushed ½ cup + a few for garnishing
Rice - 2 tablespoons
Milk - 4 cups
Mawa/khoya, grated - ¼ cup
Sugar - 1/3 cup
1. Take rice and milk in a deep pan and cook stirring continuously so that the rice does not stick to the bottom. Cook till the rice is soft and the milk reduced.
2. Add mawa and mix. Add sugar and stir till it dissolves.
3. Add crushed walnuts and stir. Transfer into a bowl and add chocolate and mix. Cool and chill.
4. Pour into individual bowls. Sprinkle grated chocolate over the top, place a walnut in the centre and serve.
MIXED FRUIT CRUMBLE
Apples, 1 inch cubes - 3 large
Pears, 1 inch cubes - 3 large
Ginger, chopped - 1 inch piece
Honey - 1 tablespoon
Orange juice - 2 tablespoons
Refined flour (maida) - 1 1/3 cups
Butter, softened - 1/3 cup
Almonds, flaked - 15-20
Porridge oats - ¼ cup
Mixed spices - 1 teaspoon
Brown sugar - 2 tablespoons
Honey - ¼ cup
1. Pre heat oven to 175º C. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish.
2. To make the topping, sieve the flour in a bowl and rub in butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in flaked almonds, porridge oats, mixed spices, brown sugar and honey. Mix until well combined.
3. In a bowl mix together apples, pears, ginger, honey and orange juice. Spoon the mixture into the prepared ovenproof dish.
4. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the mixed fruits in the dish.
5. Bake in the preheated oven at 175º C for half an hour until the topping is golden and the fruit tender.
6. Serve it hot with custard.
SUPER MITHAI SUNDAE
Mini gulab jamuns - 20-24
Vanilla ice-cream - 4 scoops
Butterscotch ice-cream - 4 scoops
Mixed fruit jam - 4 teaspoons
Sponge cake, cubed - ¼ medium
Dry fruit chikki, crushed - ½ cup
1. Take four wide mouthed stemmed glasses and smear the inside of each with a teaspoon of mixed fruit jam.
2. Layer each glass with few cubes of sponge cake, five to six mini gulabjamuns, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a scoop of butterscotch ice cream and garnish with crushed dry fruit chikki. Serve immediately.